Aligning jointer bed on Felder CF741

Discuss surfacers or "jointers" here

Aligning jointer bed on Felder CF741

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:48 am

I believe this comment will apply to most of the Felder combo jointer planers too.

This isn't intended to be a full tutorial on making the beds coplanar but I just spent a lot of time working on the machine and wanted to share a lesson learned. Here is a http://www.felderusaonline.com/pdf/manuals/700Seriesjointerplaneradjustments.pdf to pdf file that describes the procedure.

In summary, the problem I was trying to solve was on the infeed table. I could get the hinge side parallel with the outfeed table AND both tables parallel at the cutter block. But, the outboard temple bolt side of the table was low by 0.025". When I raised the outboard temple bolt the table wouldn't touch the inboard temple bolt. The table acted like it was twisted.

There is a note in guide that says the adjustments are easier if the sheet metal is removed. I spoke with a Felder Tech a few times and In one of my early conversations I asked him if I needed to remove the sheet metal attaching the two tables. He said I could if I wanted to but he wouldn't. After several 1/2 days of messing with the jointer alignment I asked a FOG member for his thoughts. He told me to detach the sheet metal connecting the table. That made a big difference because the sheet metal had really torqued the table. After that it was fairly quick to get the tables aligned.

Hope this helps

This jointer, with new knives, cuts really well now. I can't see any light at all between two jointed boards.
ktm_300xcw_rider

Re: Aligning jointer bed on Felder CF741

PostPosted by natescales » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:50 am

Nice work, thanks for the write up.
natescales

Return to Surfacers