Euro bandsaw

A discussion board for European style bandsaws

Euro bandsaw

PostPosted by Richard Z » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:07 am

Sorry for the simpleton post - but what is a "European" bandsaw? I know MM, Felder and other Italian units as examples made in Europe - but is the "style" or construction very different than Grizzley or Powermatic, etc? (and I won't call those Asian style) ;) Don't appreciate there is the same magnitude of difference as there is between a US cabinet saw vs. Euro sliders or combos - but maybe I just don't know.

Thanks
Richard Z

Re: Euro bandsaw

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:43 am

Hmm good question. The welded box steel type are a "European" design. I am guessing it has origins in Italy? The bandsaw as a tool originated in Britain. Early European bandsaws had cast frames as well. This category was intended for discussing saws with roots from over the pond, not nesseccarily "Euro Style " bandsaws made by Grizzly, Delta, Powermatic etc....
Correy Smith

Re: Euro bandsaw

PostPosted by cplesums » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 pm

If I had to answer your question, I would note that the construction of the bandsaws coming from Europe generally allow much higher blade tension. For example, Grizzly refused to answer a user question about the recommended or max tension on one of their "look like European" saws.

Centauro was tied with Agazzani for reputation as "best in the world." The last of the Agazzani family recently died, and another company bought their design and plans to move to their existing facility - we will have to see how they do. Centauro makes the MM line of bandsaws for MiniMax, as well as for others. I am sure there are more but these two vendors stand out.
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

Return to Bandsaws