Dust collection placement

A discussion board for European style bandsaws

Dust collection placement

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Hey guys, Most BS have just one DC port just under the lower guides. We all probably concur that with the MM it's not quite adequate. I have seen some saws with the second port on the back bottom toward the front lower corner. I have been considering adding a second port there. I just saw a pic of a Felder FB 640 and there placement in bottom back but located more toward the spine of the machine. Both places are where dust builds up on the MM BS. Anyone own a Felder BS that could give any account of adequateness of their second port location?
I think I might do better by putting a small air line to the blade just under the guides to knock the dust from the gullets in the direction of the primary DC port. Any thoughts?
Correy Smith

Re: Dust collection placement

PostPosted by mroberts » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:18 am

I got tired of dust raining on my head while sawing and went way overkill with DC on my MM24. I cut a 5" port in both the top and bottom doors. Both ports are as near the lowest corner on the hinge side as possible. The collection is as near perfect as possible.

-Mike
Mike Roberts, San Antonio TX
mroberts

PostPosted by giametti » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:10 pm

I owned a 16" Meber Laguna saw before my MM16. It had two dust ports, and dust collection on that machine was vastly better. But that was all that saw had to say for itself. I am in awe of the MM16 and will also try to install a second port some day.
giametti

PostPosted by cplesums » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 pm

mroberts wrote:I got tired of dust raining on my head while sawing and went way overkill with DC on my MM24. I cut a 5" port in both the top and bottom doors. Both ports are as near the lowest corner on the hinge side as possible. The collection is as near perfect as possible.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Are your ports in the doors themselves, or in the back of the machine opposite the door (so the hose doesn't move when you open the door)?

Did you try a lower hose (which seems to be a common solution), then find it inadequate, and to go a second port on the upper wheel?

Do you still use the 4 inch OEM port on the front of the machine?

Two five inch ports, possibly plus a 4 inch port, means you must have a huge main going to the bandsaw - probably at least 8 inches - what are you using for a dust collector? What HP?

Is your MM24 the new model, or the old one (like mine)

Charlie
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

PostPosted by mroberts » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Charlie:

My ports are in the doors. I have no talent for cutting metal, so I took the doors off and gave them to a friend that does. I had him cut both holes at the same time so I wouldn't have to make a return trip. The hoses are a bit of a pain during blade changes mostly because of shop space limitation. I do still use the OEM 4" port as well. You're correct about the 8" main. I have the saw right next to a 3hp cyclone with an 8" main. I open an 8" blast gate for the bandsaw and close the 8" gate that continues on to my combo.

My MM24 is the newer model circa 2010.
Mike Roberts, San Antonio TX
mroberts

Return to Bandsaws