Tersa, hss and carbide together

Thickness planer discussion board.

Tersa, hss and carbide together

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Howzit all, Is anyone running two and two HSS and Carbide in there tersa heads? I am wondering if the working edge of the hss deteriorates beyond the effective cutting circle of the carbide. I have read on the web the finish is "improved" over running 4 Carbide knives. I am picturing every other planer mark is hss produced. On a slow speed sounds like the finish would be admirable. Any thoughts?
After a little more thinking, how would you know when the carbide needs replacing? The Hss will dull substantially faster and if the rumors are true, you will replace the two hss knives 10 times before the carbides are dull.
Correy Smith

Re: Tersa, hss and carbide together

PostPosted by cplesums » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Personally I can't imagine blades of dissimilar materials wearing evenly enough that you would truly get the advantage of both types of blade materials.

I used the first side of my carbide Tersa blades for several years before I noticed the finish degrading enough for me to move to the second side of the blades. Of course, I am not an industrial shop where the planer is running continuously.
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah I am in the same opinion Charlie. I am more so not liking mixing up blade sets. i.e. running 2 CB for a spell then deciding to add 2 more ,. then two are duller than the the others. I am not a production shop but carbides in my Byrd head thicknesser lasts me about 8 months before needing to be changed over. They still will give more work but figured ares tear out after they dull a bit.
Carbide for the 520 is almost $600! I can get 10 sets of HSS for that! Glad I kept the 15" with byrd :-)
Correy Smith

PostPosted by Slappy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:32 am

so what's the price difference between the HSS & Carbide on the tersa's ?
AND is there a difference in the surface quality ? from everything I've read the HSS is superior to the carbide in the end surface qtly .
with the easy change & time saved seems the HSS wins on the tersa
I've got a MiniMax FS41 Classic on the way & want to know which blades I should stock up on just for grins I'm gonna get all 4 of the types .
Slappy

PostPosted by Slappy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:33 am

also on a 3 blade head could you even mix blades ??
Slappy

PostPosted by cplesums » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:10 am

If you are going to get all four types of blades, be sure to let us know how they compare. Remember some are better for softer woods. Some survive dirt better than others. Some are superior for highly figured woods.
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

PostPosted by Slappy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:41 am

the tersa head was a main reason behind me going MiniMax on the J/P combo , I like that I can swap out knives quickly to use the best knife on the different types of wood .
I was looking at the Hammer machines , but after seeing pix on the WoodworkerUK site of scalloping & lines with a silent power carbide head on a Felder machine . I had my doughs that a Hammer was for me . That wasn't the only reports that I had found but was the 1st photos .
Slappy

Return to Thicknessers