Separate MM CU300?

A place for questions unique to combo units.

Separate MM CU300?

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Hello Guys, I am wondering if it's possible to separate a MM Cu 300. I already have the J/P covered in stand alones but would like a short stroke slider. Maybe I could sell the other half of the CU. Any thoughts?
Correy Smith

Re: Separate MM CU300?

PostPosted by cplesums » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 pm

I believe some of the Felder combos can be separated into two "halves" but I do not know of any Mini Max that can be split.

Are you sure you really want a short stroke slider? I use my 8.5 foot slider on hardwoods as much or more than I do on sheet goods, and I don't need any more shop space for the long slider that I would need for any saw cutting long boards. MiniMax does have some short sliders so perhaps this would be a trade opportunity, particularly if someone in Hawaii was interested in a CU300
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:23 am

Hello Charlie, thanks for the response. I saw it on CL and it was a decent deal at $4250. Seemed really clean. Which is exceptionally rare here. Most machines are pretty rust ridden. Just don't need a combo as much as a slider. The shipping on a slider here is about $1500~1700 from CA. Crating another $200. So if you think of it that way, it is a really good deal as I could just pick-up with a trailer or lift gate truck.
Yeah I had just read on FOG about the guy separating his CU. Was wondering if MM was similar thanks.
Correy Smith

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Boy, the shipping is expensive to Hilo!

My uncle recently moved to Maui and sold almost everything he had because the shipping was so expensive.

Sorry I can't help with the answer to your question. MM is probably the one to call for the answer.
ktm_300xcw_rider

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 am

Shipping is a expensive for small freights but containers are pretty reasonable. I brought my shop with me when we moved as well as the house stuff and a couple cats ( not in the container). About $9 a cubic foot from Maine.
Correy Smith

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Maine to Hawaii is quite the haul. I lived in ME in the late 70's. Beautiful place.
ktm_300xcw_rider

PostPosted by timrowledge » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Correy Smith wrote:I am wondering if it's possible to separate a MM Cu 300.

My CU300 has a welded up box/chassis, so I think it might be a bit difficult to separate anything usefully. Now if you're a decently competent machinist and welder, that's a different story. As with almost anything engineering related, it's possible with sufficient skills and money. Some money can be traded for some skills.

Damn, now you've got me thinking about how one would do it.
timrowledge

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Hey Tim tanks for registering here. Good to hear from you. Yeah, I dunno if separating would be the way. Especially that they are welded. Moving on now. But if you separate yours please post some pics! Cheers!
Correy Smith

Re: MM CU300?

PostPosted by mmcu300classic » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Where can you find parts for mm cu300 classic? I need an on/off switch for a 2004 model. It turns but doesn't make a click like its making contact.
Took it apart and it seems like the center part of switch is loose. wonder if you can buy just that part or have to buy the whole switch block?
Thanks, Logan
mmcu300classic

PostPosted by cplesums » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 pm

MiniMax USA has a complete parts depot (or so they claim) in a suburb of Atlanta. Call 866-975-9663

Many of the MiniMax user and parts manuals are available on-line. The web site is Parts Pronto (which worried me at first, but it turns out to be the parts distribution portion of SCM North America). You do not have to log in, just select the MiniMax line and you will see the list of manuals available (PDF files you download). This may suggest what parts can be replaced as components or only as complete assemblies, but may not be directly useful since it references SCMI part numbers, not industry brands and part numbers.
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

Return to Combo Machines