super surfacer vs planer

Discussion board for precision planers

super surfacer vs planer

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Super surfacer is new to me. What's the difference between it and a planer?
ktm_300xcw_rider

Re: super surfacer vs planer

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Go to You Tube and search it. There are some pretty cool product infomercials there. Also check out http://www.solidwoodmachinery.com/ I think he is the only one selling them in N America.
Correy Smith

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:29 am

I'll do that.
ktm_300xcw_rider

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:51 am

They are pretty cool. I'm surprised they've been around so long and I've never heard of them. Do you know anyone who owns one?
ktm_300xcw_rider

PostPosted by daiku » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:22 pm

I own a Marunaka Royal Up purchased from Mark at Solid Wood Machinery. Just sent off a knife for re-grinding.
Craig
daiku

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:42 am

Craig, are you hand sharpening in between? Thoughts on disposable tooling? I have a job site Makita Surfacers I still haven't cleaned up and used yet, wish I had more time :roll:
Do you ever experience snipe?
Correy Smith

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm

I watched the video - what is the upside and downside to owning a super surfacer compared to a planer?
ktm_300xcw_rider

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:43 am

Hello, a SS is for fine finishing only. It is not designed for straightening, or for stock removal. The final pass, or few only. You use your thicknesser for stock removal and finish with the SS. The shavings produced by a SS are about the same thickness of those from a hand plane. Which in essence that's what it is but with a power feeder. You can skew the knife to reduce the cutting angle and plane difficult pieces. So the bigger/wider the SS the more width you have when you have the blade at a skew. Models with auto return are preferred but are expensive tools. Not bad used/ refurbished thru Mark. Some times you can tell when window and door parts went thru a SS prior to assembly. The surfaces have a shine and luster to them the ray flecks and luminosity of the grain is very pronounced compared to wood surfaces that have been sanded regardless of grit finished with. I think Marvin Windows uses them. Companies doing mass finishing of parts use them because of their speed. A louver door company might have one for example. Of course you can only work parts that are rectangular/square in profile. Or possibly a curved piece but still flat that can feed thru. You can also use them prior to a finish pass with an ultra sharp hand plane.
My curiosity is in the effect of speed on the finish or if it is just for inertia for better feeding.
Correy Smith

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Excellent information. I would think the stock needs to be longer rather than shorter too. Wonder what the minimum length of wood is?
ktm_300xcw_rider

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:36 am

I am unsure of a minimum length appropriate for a SS . Very short less than a foot. The belt has a spring loaded platten on mine that keeps pressure on the work piece as it crosses the bed, which on mine is inverted. There is a pressure bar directly in front of the blade maybe 1~3mm in front of it. So snipe should be minimized to that. SS, dependant on size, can be used for post timbers and very slender delicate parts as well.
Check out http://www.solidwoodmachinery.com/ and his Marunaka page. There is a really cool video that starts up. It is a study on the affect of the cap iron on grain reversal. The theary there can be adopted to SS or hand planes. I was hand planing some heavily reversing grain koa today and adding the micro bevel to the cap iron as in the video ( 85 degrees) worked wonderfully. Looked like glass. MArk's site has some links to more video on SS. I need a bigger shop already....
Correy Smith

Next

Return to Super Surfacers