wheels slightly out of balance?

A discussion board for European style bandsaws

wheels slightly out of balance?

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:35 pm

I have a Felder fb540 that acts like the wheel(s) are slightly out of balance. I get a repeatable vibration that seems to coincide with the rotation of the wheel. It isn't bad enough to keep me from using the saw. How do you go about diagnosing and fixing a problem like this?
ktm_300xcw_rider

Re: wheels slightly out of balance?

PostPosted by cplesums » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:14 pm

The way to check balance is to spin the wheel by hand and mark the bottom of the wheel where it stops (or make one mark on the wheel, and a pencil mark for each stopping point on the shroud). With repeated tries, the stopping spot should be randomly around the wheel, but if not, it is off balance. Put a weight (such as one or more washers wired to the wheel) and keep trying until it is balanced.

The upper wheel is easy, since you only have to remove the blade. The lower wheel is a pain since you should remove the drive belt. I don't know if anyone has experience trying to balance the lower blade when it is attached to the motor.
Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
(Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
Lots of my free advice at http://www.solowoodworker.com
cplesums

PostPosted by Correy Smith » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:31 pm

KTM, try a new blade if you haven't already. A cracked gullet or bad weld can lead to mystery vibrations.
Have you surfaced your tires? Do they need it?
Do as Charlie Said. Check balance.
You can take the wheel to a machine shop an they will balance it for you for not much $.
May as well replace bearings too if it goes this far, It would be a bummer to get it all back together and have it be the bearings.
There is really nothing else in the saw.
Correy Smith

PostPosted by ktm_300xcw_rider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 am

Thanks Correy,

I will take a look at the balance.

Marty
ktm_300xcw_rider

Return to Bandsaws